Thursday, April 9, 2009
Friday's Thursday 13 ~ Week 4 Edition "D"
Well, do I get some credit if I started my Thursday 13 post on Thursday even though I didn't finish and post it until Friday? I hope so. This Thursday passed by in a total blur. 4 kids up and out the door to school, scrambling to get the house in some kind of presentable order, get Joey and Emma from school, lunch time, Joey's PT and OT session, get John's baseball stuff together to drop off at school only to find out the game was postponed due to the yucky weather, drive to Albion to get my mom from church and help her get baskets ready for the grandkids for Easter, do some stuff around the house for her, keep her company for awhile, and arrive home at 11:30 p.m. only to go to bed with eager anticipation of no school Friday. But I am determined to stick to my guns and follow through with my Thursday 13 challenge. Although I am a bit worried about what I will do when I get to some of the more difficult letters of the alphabet ~ such as Q, U , X, and Z. Do 13 words that begin with the letter X even exist? I guess we will have to wait and find out. Here come the D words!
1. Driving ~ This is a huge subject in our house right now. With John on the verge of turning 16 this summer it all but consumes us. And another thing, back when I was in high school and took driver's ed, the class was offered through the school I attended and the cost? FREE! Now it's not offered at school anymore and you have to take it through some independent driving instructor. And the cost? $300+!! Can you believe it? What happened to the good old days of your shop teacher or school secretary also being your driving instructor?
2. Doctors ~ The list is long. Joey has seen urologists, endocronologists, geneticists, gastroenterologists, pediatricians, audiologists, ear, nose and throat specialists, optometrists, surgeons, anesthieologists, etc., etc. Not sure if all the spellings are correct but you get the idea.
3. Doorknobs ~ Joey has figured out the fine art of doorknob turning. No room is safe from him when he is in destructive mode. We have to stock up on safety knobs this weekend.
4. Donuts ~ Gotta go with the jelly filled.
5. Diapers ~ Been changing them for almost 5 straight years now. Back when Joey and the girls were younger, say we would average 5 changes a day x 3 kids. That's 15 diapers a day. That's 105 diapers a week, 420 a month, 5,040 a year. Jeez, did I do the math right? That's a load of diapers!!
6. Dolls ~ Barbie, Polly Pocket, Princess and countless other baby dolls. And every one of them buck naked.
7. Dork ~ My husband is such a dork. We have a small refrigerator in our kitchen in addition to our large fridge. It keeps pop really cold. A couple weeks ago, I had been gone to my mom's for awhile and came home in the late evening. When I came into the kitchen I noticed there were wet towels in front of the small fridge. I asked Shawn why. He said he thought it was broken cause it was leaking water all over and not keeping stuff cold anymore. I looked behind it and it had come unplugged ( probably at the hands of Joey). I said it's not plugged in. That's why it isn't working. He said I never thought to check that. See, I told you ~ certified dork.
8. Detour ~ Even though our lives took a major detour when Joey was born, we wouldn't have it any other way.
9. Dorm ~ In just 3 short years, our baby John will be off to college and dorm life. Where has the time gone?
10. Drapes ~ Forget stylish curtains, handcrafted blinds or shades in our house. Joey pulls on the drapes every chance he gets. He's not as obessesed with them as he used to be so that's a sign that he is growing up.
11. Dark ~ 2 of the 5 kids are afraid of the dark. Although they shall remain nameless, it's not John, Joey or Emma.
12. Dreams ~ Whether big or a little small, hold on to your dreams or you have nothing at all.
13. Dacryocystitis ~ Our learning word for the week. It means inflammation of the lacrimal sac causing obstruction of the tube draining tears into the nose. Lacrimal will have to be our L word when we get there.
What Exciting words will Evolve during our adventure with letter E? Come back next week and find out!