www.flickr.com
items in CdLS Awareness through Photos More in CdLS Awareness through Photos pool

Friday, October 3, 2008

It's Friday Fencepost Time!

It's Friday, it's Friday!
My second favorite day of the week!
It's Friday, it's Friday!
My second favorite day of the week!
Saturday's the first!
Monday's the worst!
It's Friday, it's Friday!
My second favorite day of the week!

For those of you that are wondering, no I have not jumped off the deep end. This is a little song I made up and used to sing to the older boys when they were younger. On Fridays, I would get them up for school by doing a little dance and singing our song (yes ~ I said doing a little dance!). Now at ages 12 and 15, they kind of just roll their eyes when I do it for them, but they still give me a little smile so that makes it all worth it. Good thing Joey, Emma, and Abbie are still young and appreciate my great talent ~ it won't go to waste yet!

For this week's fencepost, I have decided to share a video of Joey at speech therapy doing some work with PECS. PECS stands for Picture Exchange Communication System. This is a form of communication where the child uses a variety of pictures to express his or her needs or wants. I believe there is a total of six phases and Joey is currently on phase three ( Delanie ~ you'll have to correct me here if I'm wrong). I am learning along with Joey and by no means am I an expert. So far, it seems like it will be a wonderful way for Joey to communicate with teachers, peers, therapists, and other family members. Consistency is a big part of making the system work. Joey is catching onto it fairly well and we are very excited for him to have this opportunity. For more information about PECS, click here. Hope you like the video ~ I'll warn you it's about 15 minutes long so don't feel bad if you don't watch the whole thing. This just gives everyone a peek at all the hard work he has been doing. Thank you to Delanie and Natalie for all your hard work too! Enjoy the show!

(Author's note: Here is where I tried to insert the video, but was unsuccessful. When I added it here, it wouldn't let me publsh the post, so you have to go above the post to view the video. Confused yet? I really need someone to teach me all the tricks to this blogging thing).

On another note, I have decided to take the kids to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha tomorrow. Yes, I am attempting to do this by myself, and no, I will probably not learn my lesson. My darling husband has some work he needs to catch up on ~ i.e. cleaning, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, mowing, dishes, laundry, etc. and has promised me a spic and span house when we get home. I've made it public knowledge now honey, so you better pull through! I would hate to disappoint all these great readers of ours if you don't fulfill your end of the deal! :o) I'm sure we will have a great time and I won't be stressed out at all! (If I keep believing this, maybe it will come true!) Anyway, if nobody hears from me by Monday, send the looney bin truck for me. They'll know where to find me ~ I'll leave a trail of all my hair I will be pulling out. :o) Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's really neat how they're working with him! You must be so happy!
    As for the video. All you needed to do was copy and paste the html code exactly where you wanted it. If you use the Compose feature to do your blog, click on the edit html feature, and from there you can copy, then delete it from up top, and paste it wherever you want it. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!
    And OMG, you HUBBY does the housework? You've got to be kidding me! How did you wind up with that deal?

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete

Thank your for stopping by our blog! Your kind comments are appreciated!

Our Guestbook