items in CdLS Awareness through Photos More in CdLS Awareness through Photos pool

Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekly Review

Wow ~ another week has passed us by! Where the heck is 2008 going anyway? I decided to give a little review of our past week ~ now if I can just get the old brain to go into recall mode. I should just write down what happens every day around here then when it comes time for a weekly wrap up it would be a piece of cake! Of course, whatever I right down would probably get lost or colored on so for now I will rely on good old brain power.
I suppose a good place to start would be with a quick recap of Joey's visit to the urologist last Thursday. For those of you who remember our adventure at the eye doctor this appointment actually didn't go to badly. Needless to say after that drama I was pretty nervous about taking him to see another doctor, let alone the urologist. But you will be happy to learn that his plumbing checked out fine and there is no need for further investigation into his private parts. ;o)And contrary to what I said after the eye doctor fiasco, I did end up taking Joey to this appointment by myself but we did okay. We were at Children's Hospital in Omaha and the waiting room was pretty kid friendly so Joey had lots to keep him occupied. The only thing that irritated me was that the appt. was scheduled for 1:40p.m. and it was 3:30 before we got called back to exam room. Then more waiting. It was about 4:45 before we got out of there so it made for a long afternoon but we got back home in one piece.
The weekend pretty much went by in a blur. It was one of those weekends where you don't have anything specific planned but have a thousand things to get done. And of these thousand things, maybe 1/4 of them got done. Friday night I went to my parent's house to help my mom get some stuff done around the house. Saturday John had basketball practice from 7 - 8:30a.m. then indoor baseball hitting practice from 10 - 11 a.m. then back to the high school at 11:30 for a scrimmage against the sophomores. Tommie had basketball practice from 9 - 11a.m. which he and Dad go to because Shawn helps coach the team. At 2p.m. Shawn and the older boys went to watch Columbus High play in a basketball tourney and the little ones and I got to have some bonding time. Saturday night John went out to eat with his girlfriend and her dad (whoooo hoooooo!!) and was gone a whole hour and a half. We spent Sunday trying to get all the stuff done that we didn't get done on Saturday. We finally managed to get our Christmas tree up and Joey has yet to knock to over so keep your fingers crossed! Tommie and I went to church and afterwards we picked up John, Emma and Abbie and went to the brand new McDonald's for lunch. It was built to replace the old one and just opened a couple weeks ago. Do we know how to have fun or what!?! Sunday evening my sister and I attended our church's children's Christmas program to watch Tommie and my nephew Tanner who are in the bell choir.
Today, I tried to catch up on the things we didn't accomplish over the weekend. Tomorrow, I will work on the things that I didn't accomplish today and so on and so on. Let's just say I hope the people from Better Homes and Gardens don't show up anytime soon. The other day I was asked to participate in a training session for the Early Development Network. They needed a couple parents to come in and tell their stories about their child and answer some questions for a group of trainees. Today,I got to tell Joey's story, share information about CdLS, and let them know how valuable some of these services are from a parent's perspective. Anyway, the other parent there is a parent of four children and their youngest son was born in May and diagnosed with DiGeorge Syndrome. This is a syndrome I had never heard of. Evidently there are a whole host of medical problems associated with this syndrome. From heart problems to feeding difficulties and probably most heart wrenching of all, these children are born with little or absolutely no immune system. This baby has been in an out of the hospital several times, endured two open heart surgeries and even the slightest cold can turn to pneumonia. He has come close to dying 2 or 3 times. I cannot even begin to understand what this family is going through. Even though Joey has CdLS, we consider ourselves very lucky. Lucky because he is healthy, happy and brings our family tremendous joy as do all our children. I went to this training session today in hopes of helping these people learn to do their jobs better and to look at situations from a parent's point of view. I walked away grateful for another chance to put things about our lives into perspective. Thank you, anonymous mom.


  1. 2008 has gone by way too fast hasn't it???

    you have been one busy bee!!

  2. I was looking ahead to future blog challenges and I saw there was a "reflections on 2008" one coming up.

    That is amazing how much you learned form the anonymous mom. I have never heard of that syndrome either.

  3. Wow, I'm glad to hear Joey's appointment went well except for the wait. That's not kind.
    kudos to your son for going to dinner with "THE DAD"!! That takes gutts.
    ALOHA from Hawaii!!

  4. Wow, sounds like you've had a busy week!!

    I'm glad to hear the appointment went well and all's okay with Joey's "plumbing" :-)

    That's awesome you got to share Joey's story and info about CdLS at the training session. And amazing how much we can learn from others with children with different disabilities. I had heard of DiGeorge syndrome but didn't really know much about it. I'll have to look it up.


Thank your for stopping by our blog! Your kind comments are appreciated!

Our Guestbook